Background and Description:
Gershon and Roza Lewkowicz were Holocaust survivors. Their terrible experiences and determination to recreate a life and family from nothing inspired their daughter, Renée Levcovitch-McHale, to take up their mantle in cross-cultural and inter-religious dialogue as a way to prevent such atrocities in the future. She believes the Church has an important role in this regard. Consequently, in her quest to bring the Jewish and Christian peoples together through dialogue, Renée has established a prize at St. Michael’s College in the University of Toronto in memory of her parents, to be awarded to the students whose essay best reflects this endeavor.
The Gershon and Roza Lewkowicz Prize in Jewish-Christian Relations is a monetary prize of $1,000.00 awarded by an evaluation committee, and the winning essay is published as the feature in the Spring edition of Saeculum Undergraduate Academic Journal for the Study of Christianity and Culture.
Below you will find a more detailed account of the people who have inspired the creation of this award, and the ultimate goal of Renée Levcovitch-McHale and this journal.
Acceptable essays may cover any topic related to the historical and/or contemporary experiences and initiatives within Jewish-Christian relations. This may include, but is not limited to:
- Landmark documents within the scope of inter-religious dialogue
- Pioneers in the area of Jewish-Christian relations and dialogue
- Responses to the Holocaust
- Exploration into documents from the Second Vatican Council surrounding inter-religious dialogue
- The formation of the Christian and Jewish canons
- Jewish-Christian relations after Second-Temple Judaism (during the Early Church era)
- Jewish-Christian relations in Medieval Europe
- Jewish and Christian responses to Zion and Zionism
◊ The author of the essay may be any undergraduate or graduate student enrolled in the University of Toronto or its affiliates.
◊ Papers may be no longer than 20 pages in length and double-spaced with 12pt font.
◊ Submissions must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Lewkowicz Prize Submission”.
◊ Submissions are due on February 1st of each calendar year.
To learn more please visit our various social media sites,
- Facebook: Search "Saeculum Journal"
- Twitter: @SaeculumJournal
- Christianity and Culture Student Organization:
All inquiries regarding this prize may be sent to email@example.com with the subject line: Gershon and Roza Lewkowicz Prize Inquiry